Tis the season… for traveling! As I am sure you are aware, the streets seem to be constantly crowded and people are out and about shopping for presents, going to Christmas parties, and people traveling to see loved ones in time for the Holidays. Hopefully by now, you have booked your tickets to see the in-laws in time for Christmas, but there are so many other monetary details to take care of, like hotels and rentals and activities to do once you are there. According to Andrea Woroch, who has been featured on GMA and NBC’s Today, there are a few things to keep in mind when you head out to Grandma’s house. Here are a few of my favorite:
- Consider Your Club Card—If you are a member of Sam’s or Costco, think about booking your trip through their travel portals for good prices on airfare, hotels, and rentals. They also have great deals on cruises and other fun things to do.
- Factor in the Fees—On no frills airlines, it is not uncommon to encounter unexpected fees, like choosing your seat, priority boarding, bagging fees, etc. be sure to consider the fees before booking. It could be better to fly a different airline without said fees.
- Price-track Deals— Compare, compare, compare! Worth suggests pintrips.com as a great site to compare travel price in real time. It is also important to keep tracking the prices after you book. Southwest, as well as other airlines depending on the price, gives refunds for prices that change after booking.
- Redeem Rewards—According to Colloquey, there are $16 billion rewards that are unredeemed each year. These rewards are dependent on the amount of money you have spent, so you have earned these with each payment towards your credit card. These are great resources during the holidays. I can’t think of a much better way to use them then to reunite with loved ones.
- Discounted Dough—restaurant.com is a wonderful site that I use personally. It offers up to 40% off face value for everything from entertainment to all your travel needs. Don’t forget to layer the savings and check RetailMeNot.com for more savings, including savings on restaurant.com. There have been times I have gotten several $25 gift cards for only $3!
- Plan Your Parking— Research parking at the airport before you plan your trip to save time and money. AirportParkingReservations.com has a list of available parking lots and great deals on long-term parking. don’t forget that hotels around the airport may have a better deal on parking. Simply book parking at the hotel, and take the shuttle to the airport in time for your flight.
Safe travels this season!